Causes of electrical shocks in homes

When an outlet is old, it can emit electrical shock – Outdated outlets usually possess two-prong instead of the now common three. Two-prong outlets possess no ground wire. The ground wire acts as an additional safety barrier in the case of an unstable electrical current. This wire gives unstable currents a passage to the ground instead of you or the other wires, hence the name.
Without a ground, two-prong outlets have no way to safely channel unstable electricity. This increases the chances of shock.

When Electric wires Touch Water – When electricity encounters water, get away from it! Electricity and water make a dangerous combination, as the water’s ions are extremely conductive. This leads to electrical shock, possibly at a more severe level. A submerged source of electricity can turn any body of water into an electrical shock hazard. This can damage the electrical source as well, possibly ruining whatever appliance or device that may hold the current.

• When there is a faulty Outlet/Switch – When an outlet or switch is faulty or malfunctioning, electrical shock can ensue. Outlets and switches receive their electrical currents through a box, further connected to the wiring. If any screw or wiring is loose on the box, wiring, or outlet/switch, electricity becomes unstable. This can lead to electrical shock if you plug in an appliance or flip the light switch.

Faulty Appliances – When an appliance has damaged circuitry, frayed wiring, or broken cords, electrical currents become unstable. When you plug one in, the unstable electricity can ruin your appliance, as well as shock you. Always check your appliances before plugging them in.

For more information or assistance during normal business hours, call or e-mail TPS at the phone number above. You can also complete and submit our Service Project Inquiry form.